The metropolitan lines are a system of ZTM bus connections, which improve the travelling through the Metropolis. This is an attractive offer due to an increased frequency of journeys, a nearly round-the-clock service, and the introduction of regular departure intervals.
The implementation of metropolitan lines, marked with letter ‘M’, popularly referred to as M-s, has been distributed over time. Ten lines started in 2021, one by one: M1, M2, M3, M4, M18, M24, M22, M101, M102, and M108. Since the beginning of 2022, the next lines started their routes: M19, AP, M100, M104, M28, M14, M105, M107, M10, M16, M116, M15, and M109. On the 1st of January 2023, M106 went out to the streets, M103 - 14 days later. You can travel by metropolitan lines using the ZTM tickets.
- Number of lines: 32.
- Number of journeys: on working days: 2236, on Saturdays: 1464, on Sundays: 1367.
- Operational work: 19,751,848 vehicle-km/year.*
- Cost: PLN 144,710,584 per year. *
* estimate data
What benefits are related to travelling by the metrolines?
- The metrolines operate more frequently.
- M-s have extended working hours during the day and at night-time.
- They improve the travelling between all GZM municipalities.
- It is a cheaper alternative to the individual transport.
- The choice of ‘M’ means no problems with parking and a step towards the traffic jams reduction.
- Choosing the urban transport, we take care of the environment - less noise and lower air pollution.
- This is an offer with a possibility of improving it by the passengers (surveys of the satisfaction level).
Which cities/municipalities are and will be served by metrolines? All municipalities, GZM members. Altogether, there are as many as 41 of them:
- Katowice, Chorzów, Świętochłowice, Ruda Śląska, Zabrze, Gliwice, Sosnowiec, Dąbrowa Górnicza, Bytom, Tarnowskie Góry, Tychy, Kobiór, Piekary Śląskie, Wojkowice, Bobrowniki, Mikołów, Łaziska Górne, Wyry, Mysłowice, Zbrosławice, Świerklaniec, Ożarowice, Imielin, Lędziny, Siemianowice Śląskie, Czeladź, Gierałtowice, Mierzęcice, Bojszowy, Bieruń, Psary, Siewierz, Sławków, Sośnicowice, Radzionków, Pilchowice, Knurów, Pyskowice, Rudziniec, and Chełm Śląski.
We encourage to visit our website regularly. The metrolines project is permanently developing. Because of that you should expect updates of the implemented solutions. Such a major change in the network of bus connections in the Metropolis area affects the organisation of the entire network – the information about changes in the urban transport may be found on the website, in the ‘Messages’ tab.
Campaign for metropolitan lines
It started at the beginning of May 2021, that is one week before the planned start of the first six metrolines. Its catchphrase, ‘M-s are flitting more and more, and more frequently’ illustrates the main benefit for the travellers, that is the increased number of bus journeys. The reading of this catchphrase aloud presents not only the frequency of operation, but also the times of vehicles departures from stops. The campaign for M-s is aimed at providing the information and promoting this unique solution. The advertising activities covered such channels and tools, as citylights at stops, banners in internet services, posters in vehicles, radio spots, and promotions in the social media. In addition, under the campaign, before the lines starting, people providing information turned up at stops, and distributed leaflets with diagrams and descriptions of new routes. The ZTM colours graphically dominate the campaign, that is yellow and black. A map of the connections diagram, with line numbers, draws attention in the composition of the poster, due to which the readers clearly see that M-s link the most distant cities of the Metropolis. The coherence of the ZTM message was also held in the other media: the radio spot, the campaign in the social media, or the information on the websites.
Examples of layouts of the campaigns promoting the metrolines start are provided below.