Learn about ZTM
1. Basic Information
The Metropolitan Transport Authority (ZTM) was established by a resolution of the Assembly of the Upper-Silesian and Zagłębie Metropolis in November 2017, and from 1st January 2019 it took over duties of previous three organisers of the public transport. The merger of those urban transport systems, operating in the area of Silesia and Zagłębie, into one enterprise caused that in many respects the ZTM is the biggest transport organiser in Poland.
We serve the area of 56 cities and municipalities, connecting the most important centres of the Silesian Voivodeship. Everyday 1700 buses, trams, and trolleybuses under the ZTM logo run in the area of Silesia and Zagłębie. 500 lines serves 7 thousand stops, travelling more than 100 million kilometres a year. Every day we expand our offer and improve the quality of provided services. We are happy that out efforts meet so positive reception from passengers - 92% of persons using our services positively evaluate their standard. Thank you!
Such a big enterprise would not be capable of dynamic development without the most important value for each employer - the staff. We employ approx. 300 persons working with passion and devotion - engineers, analysts, lawyers, and marketing people. In addition, the operators - to whom we order the transport work - employ thousands of employees. Because of all those persons, the residents of the Silesia and Zagłębie have every day access to friendly public transport, which understands their needs. Our efforts to build permanent relationships with employees resulted in 2020 in awarding us the title of a ‘Friendly Employer’ by the National Employee Trade Union ‘Employees Confederation’ - which is an exceptional distinction for each organisation.
Ms Małgorzata Gutowska
Director of the Metropolitan Transport Authority from February 2019. For more than 25 years she has been related to the transport sector, she held, inter alia, positions of President of the Management Board, General Director, and Operations Director of companies owned by the Veolia Transport, Transdev, and Deutsche Bahn Group. She worked also in the Raben Group companies as the Chief Accountant.
Graduate of management at the WSB University. She is experienced in managing complex organisational structures, also the dispersed ones. She feels very well in crisis situations as well as in such that require restructuring. She is proficient in operational management and in finance management. Already during the first year of ZTM management she effectively carried out the process of three hitherto transport operators integration, she cut the costs of the company operations and also reduced the employment. She initiates and supervises processes that optimise the organisation of public transport in the area of municipalities - members of the Upper Silesian-Zagłębie Metropolis. Under her management the ZTM modernises the business operation standards, implements programmes for staff personal development, building a strong and motivated team, as well as modernises the transport infrastructure and develops services ensuring the top safety standards for transported passengers. She greatly focuses on operations consistent with procedures and professional ethics. As a result of the introduced changes, passengers have great confidence in the ZTM. In 2020, on behalf of the ZTM, she received a ‘Friendly Employer’ statuette.
Mr Aleksander Sobota
Deputy Director for Transport in the Metropolitan Transport Authority. Since June 2019 he has been managing the work related to the ensuring the transport service continuity in the area of the Upper Silesian-Zagłębie Metropolis and municipalities, with which agreements have been concluded.
In addition, the Transport Division of the ZTM organises substitute transport, gives opinions on the submitted motions and postulates related to the collective public transport operation in the field of timetables and stop locations. They also work on the optimisation of lines arrangement of the collective public transport organised by the ZTM. In the years 2019-2021 he was managing, among other things, the team involved in the designing of metropolitan lines and the design of Brynów and Zawodzie transfer centres service in Katowice. Moreover, together with a team, he was working e.g. on developing a design of transport service for the Sądowa centre in Katowice, on preparing a concept of transport service of the KSEZ - Gliwice sub-zone, and on other projects, aimed at adapting the transport offer to the needs. He obtained a D.Sc. degree in technical sciences, in the field of civil engineering and transport, at the Warsaw University of Technology. Long-term staff member at the Faculty of Transport and Aviation Engineering, the Silesian University of Technology, with many achievements in the field of cooperation with the industry. Manager or co-author of numerous studies in the field of traffic engineering and transport systems planning.
Mr Adam Sujkowski
Acting Deputy Director for Controlling in the Metropolitan Transport Authority. From August 2021 he has been managing the operations related to the following Departments: Transport Statistics, Analyses and Budgeting, and Internal Control. He supervises preparation of forecasts and settlements in the field of GZM municipalities contributions and subsidies as well as settlements of the contracts concluded with operators on the provision of transport services. In addition, the ZTM Controlling Division handles e.g. the analysis of transport market, supervision of the financial plan performance in the field of transport, or performs strategic analyses related to various aspects of ZTM development and operations. Mr Adam Sujkowski is related to the urban transport from the beginning of his career. He graduated from two courses at the Silesian University of Technology: transport, and mechanics and machinery construction.
3. Annual Reports
4. Projects implemented and under implementation
We are the biggest public transport organiser in Poland. This is a reason to be proud, but also a number of related obligations. The transport network development is one of most important of them. Carrying out these tasks, we prepare long-term projects improving the urban transport. We integrate the area of our operations, of 2500 km2 area, in which 56 cities and municipalities are situated. In addition, we count on improving the transport services quality and standards, and also on the development of facilities in the field of customer service.
- Metropolitan lines are a project of a unique system of bus connections, marked with letter ‘M’. It is aimed at improved travelling in the Metropolis, that is in the area of 41 cities and municipalities in the Silesian Voivodeship. We started the work on metrolines at the turn of March and April 2019. The task of this project is to start lines serving the Metropolis area, which feature a high demand for transport or a need of regions integration. This task performance is possible due to carrying out widespread and time-consuming analyses. Under the project, we evaluated the operation of existing bus and tram lines, and we suggested new timetables.
- The Plan of Sustainable Public Transport Development determines the method of transport organisation, being public in nature. The basic issue in its planning consists in effective use of available funds, observing as high as possible quality of services. The plan presents a vision of public transport development in the area of Metropolis by 2035. It includes e.g. the following assumptions: reduction of adverse environmental impact, improvement in accessibility by elimination of so-called accessibility barriers, development of the transport offer and provided services quality, consistent with passenger expectations. The work on the document continued from June 2020 till March 2021.
- Cooperation at the transport service of new transfer centres, i.e. projects carried out by such municipalities as: Katowice, Knurów, Szczygłowice, Pyskowice, Pilchowice, Wojkowice, and Czeladź. The consultation with local government included preparation of draft timetables and introduction of changes in bus and tram lines. In addition, we have carried out a technical analysis of roads capacity and verified the use of offer by passengers (at the Sądowa centre in Katowice). Moreover, we analysed the data acquired from the study on travellers frequency, or transport preferences on selected lines (at Brynów and Zawodzie centres in Katowice). Now we are cooperating at starting the next transfer centres in the GZM area, e.g. in Dąbrowa Górnicza, Gliwice, Psary, and Sośnicowice.
- The other projects improving the ZTM transport system:
- preparation of a method for analysing the data from surveys on the popularity of individual stops and route sections. The collected information is used during analyses and preparation of draft transport lines;
- optimisation of the connections network, e.g. in Tychy, Katowice, Zabrze, Mikołów, Łaziska Górne, Mysłowice, Imielin, Chorzów, Sosnowiec, Piekary Śląskie, Będzin, Dąbrowa Górnicza, Psary, Bieruń, Czeladź, Toszek, Wielowieś, Tworóg, Knurów, Pysowice, Gierałtowice, Ornontowice, Orzesze, Knurów, Pilchowice, and Sławków. Modifications consisted in adaptation of routes, verification of travel times, improvement in transport accessibility, and starting new lines. In addition, we were forming new stops and improving the timetables readability;
- optimisation of the tram lines connections network, which consisted in adapting the transport offer to changing needs of passengers and increasing the efficiency of vehicles use, including the low-floor ones. The goal consisted also in better connections between cities, individual districts, and in increased clarity of the connections network. In 2020 we modified the tram network in Zabrze and in Zagłębie Dąbrowskie;
- preparation of a transport service concept for the KSSE-Gliwice sub-zone area, within which we have estimated the sizes of potential passenger flows, acquired information on transport preferences, and determined the transport needs. At the introduced changes we have used special software for macroscopic traffic modelling, and the spatial distribution of rides between areas;
- we are working now on measurements of inter-stop distances, an update of the transport model, and implementation of a new model for transport services market organisation in the Metropolis. We are also introducing improvement to the software for timetables development and we carry out further work on the network improvement.
- Projects related to improvement in transport services quality and standards, facilities in the field of customer service, and integration of a 2500 km2 area:
- the unification process of 7000 stops appearance (so far we have carried out their stocktaking) and of voice announcements in more than 1500 vehicles is ongoing;
- development of a Visual Information System together with a selected contractor;
- effective management of the urban transport due to the commissioning of the Traffic Management Centre;
- preparation of uniform and detailed guidelines for all vehicles running under the ZTM logo;
- performance of regular inspections at operators, setting them requirements, and their enforcement in the field of performance of e.g. tasks, staff, aesthetics, and vehicles marking. In 2020 the number of vehicle inspections amounted to as many as 41,360. Part of them is carried out together with the Road Transport Inspection and the Police;
- performance of digital transformation, consisting inter alia in:
a) development of the Dynamic Passenger Information System, that is information displays, which are placed at stops (now there are 380 of them, ultimately as many as 550). Because of displays, passengers can see e.g. the actual vehicle departure time from stops, can learn significant news on the urban transport, or the information on the air quality;
b) introduction of modern sales channels and solutions in the field of customer service - in that respect we have e.g. expanded the list of Service Points functionalities, started an e-POP, introduced a possibility to send ŚKUP cards to the indicated address, enabled card payments in buses, increased the functionality of ‘Mobilny (Mobile) ŚKUP’ application, extended the hotline working hours, and established the ZTM Alert profile on Facebook.