Marking of lines in the Metropolitan Transport Authority (ZTM)
We encourage to learn the system explaining numbers of lines, which operate in the Metropolitan Transport Authority. We would like to remind that within the ZTM the buses, trams, and trolleybuses operate in the area of the whole Upper Silesian - Zagłębie Metropolis and in neighbour towns (e.g. Orzesze, Czerwionka-Leszczyny, Myszków, and Żory). Some of those lines have been operating in an unchanged form for many years, enjoying at the same time a non-diminishing interest.
The line markings exist in the form of only digits or characters; there are also lines marked with digits and characters. The lowest values were assigned to trams. Bus numbers are a whole range of digits from zero to a thousand, where so-called ‘eight-hundreds’ feature accelerated timing, i.e. omit certain less popular stops on their routes. All trolleybuses, operating only in Tychy, are marked with characters. Numbers of special lines are usually preceded with character ‘S’. The substitute transport, operating during the time of tram lines repairs, is usually marked with character ‘T’.
The numbering tradition so far originates from the post-war enterprise named WPK Katowice, which in the peak period covered the area from Olkusz and Chrzanów down to Rybnik and Racibórz. Instead, the history of urban transport in Katowice is much longer and to a large extent is related to the establishment of Silesian Bus Lines in 1929. The company was serving the passenger transport in the area of industrialised part of the Upper Silesia, towns of the Cieszyn Silesia, and was organising journeys to then Lesser Poland Będzin and to Krakow.
Lines with digital numbers
- trams: 0 - 49 - lines served by trams are marked within this range of digits;
- buses: 0 – 791 – are bus lines operating with standard timing;
- buses: 800 – 880 – fast bus lines.
Lines with character marking
- A – F – trolleybus lines, which can be encountered in Tychy;
- J – W – minibus lines, operating in the ZTM Southern Area (Tychy and neighbour towns).
Lines with digital-character marking
- AP1 – AP4 – express lines to the airport; 24h Lotnisko ticket is obligatory on them;
- Sz1 – Sz4 – school lines, operating in the ZTM Southern Area;
- 7N – 911N – night lines marking. Usually digits correspond to a day line number, which operates on a similar or the same route;
- A4 – a bus line operating in the area of Gliwice;
- E-2 – a bus line operating between Tychy and Gliwice. Its specific marking results from the fact that it has an inter-city nature, omitting certain stops.
‘Zero’ tram line
- 0 – the line operating in the strict centre of the Metropolis. It connects Plac Wolności, the railway station, Rynek, Rondo, and ‘Spodek’ in Katowice with the Silesian Park and Silesian Stadium in Chorzów. Apart from regular journeys it is also started, according to the needs, for the time of mass events.
‘Tourist Tram Line’ 23
This is a line, which is served by historical trains, e.g. a power car of N type from 1953, and a trailer car of 4ND1 type from 1959. It operates on Sundays and holidays from June through September. A trip by the tourist line is a unique opportunity to meet living history and to learn, how daily trips looked like a few decades ago. Historical vehicles are also tasty morsels for photographers.
Character ‘x’ is substituted with digits.
- T-x, T-xx – mark vehicles, which are substitute transport for trams. Character ‘x’ is usually identical with the number of substituted line;
- Sx, Sxx – marking of special lines, operating e.g. during mass events.
Kibice, którzy wybierają się na mecze Zagłębie Sosnowiec – Podbeskidzie Bielsko-Biała oraz Zagłębie Sosnowiec - Odra Opole będą mogli bezpłatnie korzystać z komunikacji miejskiej.
The 4th of March will be the first day of a new minibus line operation in Tarnowskie Góry. The service of those parts of districts, which so far were not included in the urban transport network, will be its main advantage. Another value of the new connections will consist in the possibility of getting by them to the most important tourist attractions of the city.